Sunday, December 23, 2007

I needed that....

Today I was in the supermarket, listening to my iPod and minding my business. Supermarkets are the last place I think I'd meet men, since most are with their girlfriends or wives. Occasionally, I pass the elderly gentlemen who give me a smile and say hello. I reply back, it's just politeness.

Well, today, I was approached by another elderly gentleman. I don't know why he did this, but after I left out the supermarket, I realized, "I needed that". He walked up to me and said something, I turned off my music and looked at him so he could repeat. He did.

"You are very beautiful." he says, then gives me a huge smile. I'm speechless, yet I automatically smile and say "Thank You", he nods with a smile of his own and walks away.

Now, I'm one of those women who do not wear make-up, lip-gloss is my lipstick and I have a dusting of freckles that are barely visible against my brown complexion across my nose and upper cheeks. My hair was in a pony tail and I had a headband on to keep the fly-aways at bay. I actually didn't feel very beautiful at all.

I actually had been questioning that mirror I look into everyday and the men that send me emails or IM from my profile on another website about liking my picture and such. Why was I feeling this way? Because I let someone who judged me on the outside, make me feel that way on the inside.

How did that man know I needed to hear that today? Although, I've rarely heard it from ppl close to me, I am always surprised to hear it from strangers. I look at it as a good thing. It means I'm not vain and my whole life is not based on "how I look" but what I do with my life/self.

Although one person can put a dent in your armour, that is all they can do. I had to remember that today and I thank that older gentlemen for reminding me, out of one person, there are many who thing the opposite.

Dee

No comments: